It is our pleasure to announce that ReportFires for Android is now available for free at Google Play!
Web app URL: https://reportfires.roboticscats.com
1.What is the ReportFires app?
ReportFires app (web, iOS, and Android) is a free application. It will
- help you to report wildfire location easily by simple map clicks
- alert you of nearby wildfire reported by other users (iOS and Android only)
- detect wildfire near your home (iOS version only)
2.How to use the ReportFires Android app?
Just download the app, allow the app to access your location information. That’s all. You will receive a real-time notification whenever there is a wildfire, which is reported by another user, within a 10 km distance from you. The wildfire location is shown in the app.
Figure 1: ReportFires app user receives alert of wildfire reported by other users
- Click on the map of the wildfire location you see,
- Click Report on the pop-up window or click X to cancel the operation
- (Optional) you can click Add Image to take and upload a photo to provide visual information of the wildfire
- Click Report Now to report the wildfire location, or Cancel to go back to Step b
Figure 2: ReportFires user reports wildfire location by simple map clicks
3.When was the ReportFires development started?
The idea was incubated in March 2019, when we were preparing our proposal for the CAL FIRE RFI2. We started building the ReportFires web app, its first version, in February 2020. It was right after the 2019 mega-bushfires in Australia and at the beginning of the COVID-19 global outbreak. We were locked down. We could fly nowhere. We could work with anyone around the world with the internet. We worked with the web designer in Japan, the programmer in Taiwan, the frontend performance engineer in Texas, and beta testers in Thailand.
4.Why RoboticsCats develops the ReportFires app?
We develop it because we want to help.
It was a sorrow to us that we could not help with the 2019 mega-bushfires in Australia. We were reinvigorated by the COVID-19 travel-bans. Borders are not our limits. We figured out that the fastest way to help most people to mitigate wildfire risk and damage was a simple and easy-to-use app that people can report wildfires and receive wildfire alerts.
We hope you find the ReportFires app helpful. We wish you don’t need to use it.
P.S. A year is gone, thanks all the doctors, nurses, and scientists for protecting us from the pandemic.